Aug 05, 2020  
2020-2021 Catalog 
2020-2021 Catalog

Credit for Prior Learning



Students requesting an evaluation of previous coursework from regionally or nationally accredited colleges or universities must have official transcripts, with appropriate college seals and authentication, sent directly from each institution to: 

TCC Office of the College Registrar 

P. O. Box 9000 

Norfolk, VA 23509-9000 

Coursework completed at an institution that has not been regionally accredited, but is accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, requires students to also submit a course syllabus in addition to an official transcript. 

Students must submit an online Request Transfer Evaluation form at, search keywords: evaluation request. Students must earn a C or higher in courses for transfer credit consideration. Grades and grade point averages do not transfer to TCC. 


Students attending college outside the U.S. may be eligible to transfer credits to TCC following the steps below. International transcripts should not be sent directly to the TCC Office of the College Registrar or the Office of International Student Services. They will not be accepted. 

Students should have international transcripts evaluated by a professional organization or an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluators. The fee for this evaluation and the time required for completion of the evaluation varies with each agency, and is the student’s responsibility. Students should request a course-by-course evaluation. Document-by-document evaluations will not be accepted by TCC for transfer credit. Students should instruct the evaluation agency to mail an official report directly to the Office of the College Registrar at the following address:

TCC Office of the College Registrar 

P. O. Box 9000 

Norfolk, VA 23509-9000 

Students should complete and submit the online Request Transfer Evaluation form.


The college awards credit for acceptable scores through nationally recognized and college-approved external agencies. Standardized examinations include but may not be limited to the Advanced Placement (AP) program, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, the Cambridge Advanced (A.AS) Program, Excelsior Credit by Exam (ECE), the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES DSST), the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB), and the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT). Upon receipt of official test scores, the college awards credit when applicable for a score of three (3) or higher for Advanced Placement (AP) courses, a score of four (4) or higher for higher level International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, a score of five (5) or higher for standard level International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, a score of fifty (50) or higher on CLEP courses, and scores of C or better for Cambridge Advanced (A/AS) examinations when the equivalent course is offered by the college. 


The college awards credit as applicable for non-collegiate education, training, and occupational experiences, armed service school experiences, and earned professional certifications/licensures. Where applicable, credit shall be awarded in accordance with The American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT), the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services as reflected on the official Joint Services Transcript (JST)the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS), or another college-approved organization. Appropriate documentation verifying these experiences is required, which may include development and submission of a portfolio. 


Credit by local examinations is a means of achieving credit for prior learning by satisfactorily demonstrating subject-matter competency through an examination developed, administered, and evaluated by college faculty. Advanced standing credit shall not be awarded for a course previously enrolled in, and examinations can only be attempted once. Credit by local examinations is not an option for courses when a CLEP examination is available.


Students who wish to request reconsideration of their evaluation should direct an appeal in writing to the Office of the College Registrar within 10 business days of receiving notification of the evaluation results. Additional details about the appeal process are on TCC’s website at


Students who want to substitute previously completed credit courses or to use documented knowledge and skills to waive courses required in their curricula may initiate the process by completing Petition for Course Substitution or Waiver forms, gathering documented evidence or justification in support of the requests, and consulting with counselors or academic advisors. Students seeking financial assistance for a TCC course substitution must have the substitution approved and processed prior to registering for the substitute course. 

Substituted courses must cover the same content or otherwise meet the spirit of the courses being replaced. Course substitutions granted are curriculum specific and may not apply to other curricula. Waivers do not result in the awarding of credit, and students may be required to take additional credits to make up the credits. For additional information, visit TCC’s website at, search keywords: course substitution.